One of numerous ships being introduced to the world in 2024 is the Icon of the Seas from Royal Caribbean International. But this is anything but “just another ship”! This is the largest cruise ship in the world with something to offer everyone. We were on the inaugural sailing just before the naming ceremony and were able to get a preview of the ship before any paying customers were sailing.
The Icon is BIG – 1197 feet long (4 football fields) with 20 decks. When fully loaded with passengers (80% of the staterooms can accommodate a 3rd or 4th passenger) and including the crew, the total count of people reaches 9,950. Someone said it’s like an entire city. True, but this city has lots of different neighborhoods full or small eateries, shops, bars and activities.
Royal Caribbean has various ships with lots of fabulous features, but Icon has managed to introduce a number of new ones such as:
· The Aquadome – a large glass dome on the top of the ship with a venue for water shows with high dives. Here you can find the tallest waterfall at sea. This is where you will find the evening Aqua Show, a one-of-a-kind show featuring high diving, water dancing, aerial flying reminiscent of shows in Vegas. Also in and around the Aquadome, you can find both the Aquadome Marketplace and Hooked Seafood and on the front part of the Aquadome is the Orvelook, a great place to sit and watch the world go by.
· Expanded Promenade – much wider than on previous ships and two stories high. This area also flows easily into both the Surfside neighborhood and Central Park.
· The Hideaway – Beach club for the adults with the first ever on-ship suspended infinity pool.
· Thrill Island: The largest waterpark at sea with six different water slides and, of course, the tallest water slide at sea.
· A new neighborhood, Surfside - This is designed especially for families with lots to do for the little ones.
· Absolute Zero – A newly designed oval ice skating rink and entertainment venue.
This ship, Icon of the Seas, is perfectly designed for Multi-Generational travel. There are nice quite spots for the older
ones and tons of things to do for the younger ones. There is a wide variety of staterooms available on the Icon – everything from inexpensive inside staterooms to the much talked about Ultimate Family Townhouse. This townhouse spans three decks and includes a theater, game tables, slide from the top to the bottom deck, spacious balcony space, and… well, you get the idea.
There are many other new and unusual spots around this ship, but pictures tell a better story, so please take time to see them all below. (Click on the pictures to enlarge and scroll)